My Father, My Strength :)


Most people have one person in their life whom they look up to. That one person who makes them believe in themselves. That one person who tells them to never lose hope.  For me, that person is my father.

To me, Appa was one of a kind. One year before I was born, he was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), which means that his body’s immune system started attacking his joints, thereby causing inflammation. For Appa, it had affected six of his joints; knees, elbows and wrists. He also had a permanent bend in his knees.

I don’t remember those initial years much but I do remember that he had undergone some Ayurvedic treatment. I remember sitting and watching as he used to apply oil on his limbs. Even now, if I come across those vapours, it takes me back to my childhood. As I grew older, I got to know from Amma that things were not like how they were then. There was a period, in the beginning, where Appa was on a wheelchair and had to learn to start walking again. 

Whenever I had a problem and was on the verge of giving up, he used to say, “When I couldn’t walk, I used to look at you playing and I used to think, I have to get up and walk again for the sake of my daughter. You made me want to get up and walk again and today you’re telling me that you are going to give up.” And he lived by those words till the end.

I remember seeing him for the first time after he got sick. He was in Pune. I had flown down from Kerala and I had no idea that he was in such a bad condition till the time I saw him. When I entered the room Amma told him, “See who is here” and he just looked at me and gave me a small smile. That was the last reaction I got from him. Three days later when I was going to leave from Pune they admitted him to the hospital again. I remember going up to him, holding his hands and saying “Appa. You can do this. I know you can do this. You just stay strong and don’t give up”. He didn’t respond properly. I flew back to Kerala. It was my final semester and I was in the middle of my exams when I had to fly one weekend because he had deteriorated and was in the ICU and on the ventilator. When I saw him there connected to all those tubes and wires and sedated, I couldn’t hold back my tears. This was not how he was supposed to be. My father doesn’t get sick like this. He was the one who never gave up. And to see him like that crushed me. One week later, we lost him to a cardiac arrest. 

When I got the news, I didn’t have any reaction at all. It was as though there was something else that was controlling me. I had to fly to Pune so I went about doing whatever was needed for that. It was only when I reached home late at night and lay down next to Amma that all the tears came flooding.
His funeral was the next day. It was the most beautiful service I have ever attended. But there was a small part of me that was hoping that he would wake up. There was a small part that kept saying “Appa come on!! If you don’t start breathing now they are going to bury you!” But that didn’t happen and I had to say goodbye to him. 

Three days later, I was with my aunt in the car, returning from church and I asked her the one question that was on my mind, did he feel the pain during his last moments. My aunt said that he was already unconscious by then and that he did not feel a thing. I don’t know if it’s true but it made me feel so much better.

It’s almost two years since he went and not one day goes by without missing him. But I know, wherever he is, he’s looking down out for us and that’s what keeps me going.

Comments

  1. Oh Mannya!!! That is so beautiful!!!! You are so blessed and you are being watched and guided 24/7. U George is there with you all the time watching over his precious daughter. He is sooooooo proud of you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat! Hoping to make him more proud...lots of love!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mannya dear very touching! U are a very strong girl. God bless u and pen down more of your thoughts

      Delete
  3. Touchingly beautiful. You were strong enough then and you are staying strong and beautiful.
    Not to worry at all when there are people around !! ����

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mannya..I have always found u to be a strong girl..and the strength came from ur father..and he is always with u...
    And u have penned it down beautifully..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Manya.... to begin your blog by writing about your father. Continue to wite👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mannya, this is touching and well written. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful to see you express through your writing! I can relate to you and I know that many things happen in our lives which mould us in to what we are. Your Appa has contributed a lot to what you are today. Keep hold on your experiences and write more.. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me remember those days during our last semester...we know you were very close to him and still tou are! I feel proud of you my girl... Proud to be your bestie...love you darling and keep on writing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss him too, Mannya. Be strong. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This Words are really heart touching manya.I am Feeling proud on you. He is always with you and within you as your strength. Tc

    ReplyDelete
  11. People will have their own stories good/bad. But to be able to pen down your feelings and the way you made it is absolutely superb.
    I still remember the day we discussed about your family..
    Our dear ones might not always be with us, but our life has to go on with or without them. Instead of going low, you made him your strength and going with it is great.
    KeepGoing
    Strength
    Dad
    ForMeToo
    Stay Blessed an All the Best Mannya :)
    Keep Writing.. !

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are one of the strongest and beautiful person I have ever met in my life Mannya! ��. I am so proud of you. Bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well expressed and touching. Keep Going and Growing. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lived Experiences

Week 4 with Compassionate Clowns